Thursday, January 19, 2012

Book Review or Review of My Brain: You Be the Judge!

Its no secret around this house that I enjoy "The Mysterious Benedict Society" series.  When I heard that a "Mysterious Benedict Society" puzzle book was coming out, I nearly died from pure joy!!!  I love puzzle books too.  They must be making this book just for me!!!

On my latest trip to Barnes and Noble, I spotted it on the shelf.  With great self control, I didn't crack the cover till I got home.  Not one flip!  I wanted a cup of coffee and a few cookies... a sleeping toddler wouldn't hurt either.

I sat down in my old, half-broken recliner, put my feet up, sipped my coffee and turned to the first page:

                               Dear Reader,
                               ...these individuals have developed a wish to see their owns wits tested...

That's ME!!  I want to test my wits!

Excitement was building. 

I reigned it in, because, after all, this was a KID'S book.  Would it really test my wits?  Would it even hold my attention?

I turned to the first puzzle.  It looks like the newspaper advertisement for "Special Opportunities" from the beginning of book 1.  Ok, that's cool.  Is it a puzzle?  Hmmm.  I'm not sure.  I turn to the next puzzle.

A riddle.  I'm not very good at riddles.  "The Message in the Advertisements."  Do I use the newspaper clipping from the previous page?  Hmmm.  I'm not sure.  I turn to the next puzzle.

Morse code.  Turn.

"The Maze of Pages."  Followed by 9 black pages with eyes.  What is this???  I have no idea!!!

I start flipping through the book.  Trying to find something I can understand!   The only parts I get are the quotes from the series that are in between the puzzles.

My husband looks over from the couch and asks, "How's the book?"

"Its great!" fake excitement fills my voice.  To myself, I wonder, "Is this book really bad?  or am I just this dumb?"

The world may never know...




You can follow my store
http://www.teacherspayteachers.com/Store/Hannia
You can follow me on facebook
https://www.facebook.com/#!/TeacherBookClub




"The Mysterious Benedict Society: Mr. Benedict's Book of Perplexing Puzzles, Elusive Enigmas, and Curious Conundrums "  Trenton Lee Stewart

  • Hardcover: 176 pages
  • Publisher: Little, Brown Books for Young Readers; 1 edition (October 11, 2011)
  • Language: English
  • ISBN-10: 0316181935
  • ISBN-13: 978-0316181938
  • No comments:

    Post a Comment